Powder Horn is an opportunity designed to expose Scouting Adults and Youth (14 years or older, or 13 and has completed eight grade if in Venturing) to the resources necessary to operate a successful high adventure program for your unit. This action-packed, hands-on outdoor course will provide you with:
- An introduction to a variety of resources necessary to provide a robust outdoor program
- Knowledge of how to identify local resources and consultants for high adventure activities
- Knowledge of the health and safety requirements, as well as the rules and regulations of the Boy Scouts of America as they apply to the outdoor programs
Rip Van Winkle Powder Horn Outdoor Skills Resource Course
Powder Horn is a training opportunity designed as an action-packed, hands-on outdoor course to expose the BSA registered youth and adults to the resources necessary to operate a successful unit-level high-adventure program back in their home units.
The course will be limited to 48 participants. Participant qualifications are:
- Must be a registered member of the BSA
- Youth must be at least 14
- Adults must have completed the leader-specific training for their position
- Venturers must have completed the Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews
- Receive a recommendation/approval from your council executive or designee for out-of council participants
- Be able to meet the physical requirements of the Annual Health and Medical Record, No. 680-001
Astronomy | Backpacking | Canoeing/Kayaking on the Hudson | Cave Exploring | Climbing/Rappelling –at the Gunk’s | Cycling/Mountain Biking | Emergency Preparedness | Equestrian | Expedition Planning | Fishing | Fly-Fishing | Geo-caching | Leave No Trace | Orienteering | Outdoor Living History | Rowing | Scuba | Shooting Sports | Small-Boat Sailing on Hudson | Wilderness First Aid | Wilderness Survival | Winter Sports | Zip Line@ Hunter Mtn.